|Title of Invention||
THE NAVEL BRUSH FOR CLEANING UMBILICUS
|Abstract||SUMMARY:[ABSTRACT] The most untidy, unkempt and unbothered part of the human anatomy is the umbilicus, forming a reservoir for various infections. This umbilical region needs to be kept clean for the various reasons mentioned above, and using proper instrumentation. The necessity is for a properly designed, adequately aligned and flexible brush with a globular head and nylon bristled tip to cater to the needs of the masses, giving rise to cleaner and healthier people.|
THE NAVEL BRUSH
Amongst all the parts of the body, the most neglected part is probably the navel.
The navel, also commonly called the UMBILICUS or the BELLY BUTTON,, is cleaned by only a handful of people who realize the importance of keeping it tidy.
But even when such a person cleans it, due to lack of proper guidance, instrumentation and techniques, the navel is either partially cleaned or is wounded giving rise to minor abrasions and small cuts due to usage of rough materials.
Hence the need for a proper understanding of the problems associated with the navel, an instrument that fulfills the need of cleansing it, and a tutorial as to how it should be used.
PROBLEMS OF THE NAVEL:-
1) The navel is a reservoir for dust particles, powder and even
3) Inadequate and improper cleansing leads to Fungal and
4) "Bacterial infections, which are usually not identified until they are
5) really progressive due to their being out of sight of the person's eyes.
6) Due to the latest fashion, like tank tops worn by the
7) females, and navel piercing as worn by the ultra modern western
8) cultured people, the visibility of the navel to the outside world has
9) increased manifold, requiring it to be kept neat and tidy.
10) The Indian woman, her dress always being the sari, is
11) more at risk of infections and impacted dust.
12) 'During surgeries performed on the abdomen, the need of
13) having a clean navel can never be over emphasised as many infections
14) are known to spread from the umbilicus into the operating site even
15) after thorough scrubbing the region.
16) Lack of proper instrumentation has led to the region being
17) cleaned either by the fingers or by a hard brush or ear bud, giving rise
18) to multiple small abrasive wounds in the navel, find as the navel
19) region is made up of sensitive skin which tickles at the slightest touch,
20) many people don't touch it.
All the reasons cited above and many more have heralded the invention of a brush that helps keep the navel clean, called the navel brush.
The basic criteria that were borne in mind when designing the brush were as follows,
1) The brush had to be made of extremely soft material so that
it does its job of cleaning the navel without abrading the sensitive skin.
2) The brush had to be aligned at right angles to the body as
the face of the umbilicus lies in the same plane as the body.
3) Bristles at the tip of the brush had to be short so that they
dont obstruct the entry or exit of the brush inside the navel.
4) The handle should be long enough to be held firmly by the
hand with the knuckles facing away from the body and the fingers curved around it.
5) The neck had to be flexible so that the brush can be held
and operated for all types of navels irrespective of the size of the abdomen.
6) A globular head with bristles attached to the tip.
The brush bas been designed in three different manners, keeping in mind the various categories of people that are required to use it.
1) THE INFANT BRUSH:-
Handle designed shorter at around 5 to 7 inches to facilitate the parent to use it with ease while cleaning the baby's navel.
A tapering tip.
globular tip with bristles attached.
To be held like a pen and cleaned by the parent, using liquid soap so that the infant does not get irritable or tickled by the maneuver.
2)THE NAVEL BRUSH:-
This brush is designed for use by the common person, the adult male or female who desires to keep the umbilicus healthy and tidy, at the cost of a toothbrush.
The handle should be a long plastic one of atleast 10 inches length and I inch breadth.
The angulation at the neck is very much
required to be flexible so that the brush can be used by people of all nature, irrespective of the massivity of their bellies.
globular or semicircular tip made of flexible plastic material.
Bristles to be attached to the tip, around I millimeter in length and around 0.5 millimeter in thickness.
Bristles to be manufactured using soft nylon, the same material as used in soft/sensitive toothbrushes.
The tip is easily cleansible under running tap water.
However, for adults, a choice of either regular bath soap or liquid soap may be given, as per their convenience. However, liquid soap is more advisable.
3) THE POWER NAVEL BRUSH:-
The navel brush described above, even though is cost effective as it can be manufactured at the cost of a regular toothbrush, has its share of shortcomings.
rixing the hand of the user in a position of ease in front of the body such that the umbilicus can be cleaned is quite difficult.
Even though the brush is designed for both manual rotatory and bi planar movements, the bed of the navel is not thoroughly made free from dirt and residual debris, mainly because it is not visible to the user.
There's always the fear of using the manual brush in a rough manner, giving rise to pain and minor abrasions.
fill the above mentioned reasons have been taken care of while designing the power navel brush.
This battery operated brush needs to run at the speed of a regular power toothbrush and has only vibratory movements.
Rotatory movements are not advised due to it causing a tickling sensation to the user.
The head should come in various sizes ranging from 0.5 centimeters for the infant to a maximum 4 centimeters for the more popularly called "Laughing Umbilicus".
A detachable head is warranted.
However, liquid soap is to be used as regular solid bath soap might prove a little difficult to be removed by the vibratory motions.
If possible, a central canal can be made and filled with the liquid soap to be dispensed into the umbilicus region while washing.
The position of the navel is such that the whole of the region is never seen by the user, this inadequacy can be overcome by
the power brush which cleans out the region by itself, and, just like the toothbrush cleaning the molars without our seeing them, takes care of even the bed of the umbilicus.
The detachable head of the power navel brush would have to be made in different sizes to accommodate the masses.
1) THE NAVEL BRUSH designed by me , helps to
clean the umsilicus of bath infants and adults.
2) Cleaning the navel with this brush will help to
minimise various bacterial and fungal infections of the region.
3) The brisltes and tip are designed such that they
do not irritate the skin of the unsilical region
and do not give rise to any minor abrasions or
rounds, providing a page manner to clean it.
4) The efficacy of the brush, an comparison with any
such object used to clean the novel. like fingers, ear
buds a thoroughly cleaned region without any
|Indian Patent Application Number||161/CHE/2007|
|PG Journal Number||43/2010|
|Date of Filing||25-Jan-2007|
|Name of Patentee||DR. SRIKANTH S.|
|Applicant Address||"SRINIVAS" 13TH CROSS NANJANGUD TOWN, MYSORE DIST. KARNATAKA-571 301|
|PCT International Classification Number||A46B 9/00|
|PCT International Application Number||N/A|
|PCT International Filing date|