|Title of Invention||
A PROCESS FOR MANUFACTURING OCTADECENOIC ESTER SULPHONATED - A WEEDICIDE - FOR PERMANENTLY ELIMINATING PARTHENIUM HYSTEROPHORUS
|Abstract||A process for economically producing in bulk quantities a complete bio-weedicide based on octadecenoic ester sulphonated from hydrogenated vegetable oils of olive oil,coconut oil and cotton seed oil that yields emulsified concentrate of the said compound for dilution with water in volumetric ratio of 1:35 for spray application.The said complete bio-weedicide kills in 24 hours after spraying the entire exterior of parthenium hysterophorus weed irrespective of its botanical age,texture,soil,location while leaving adjoining crops unaffected.The sprayed weedicide kills the roots of the killer weed in 15 days after spraying,culminating in its complete elimination.|
|Full Text||FORM 2
THE PATENT ACT 1970
(39 of 1970)
The Patents Rules, 2003
(See section 10 and rule 13)
1. TITLE OF THE INVENTION : 'A process for producing a complete bio-
weedicide based on Octadecenoic ester sulphonated for rooting out Parthenium Hysterophorus Weed (congress grass, carrot grass).'
(a) NAME : Praveen Chhabra
(b) NATIONALITY: Indian
(c) ADDRESS : Gurdeep Bhavan 20, Kadbi Chowk, Nagpur
- 440004 M.S. India
3. PREAMBLE TO THE DESCRIPTION
COMPLETE SPECIFICATION The following specification particularly
describes the invention and the manner in which it is to be performed
1.0 Title of Invention
A process for producing a complete bio-weedicide based on octadecenoic ester sulphonated for rooting out Parthenium Hysterophorus Weed (congress grass, carrot grass) 2.0 Field of Invention : This invention relates to the field of producing a complete bio-weedicide for controlling and rooting out Parthenium Hysterophorus weed, more popularly known as 'Carrot Grass' without adversely aftecting surrounding crops and more particularly to the process of producing the said complete weedicide based on Octadecenoic ester sulphonated from hydrolyzed vegetable oils and animal fats and to formulating spray thereof for field application.
3.0 Background of Invention :
3.1 Parthenium Hysterophorus weed was foreign to India until 1958 -the year witnessing import of wheat from the U.S.A - when it was noticed around Pune and has since then attacked vast stretches of agricultural and forest lands, affecting all types of crops, forest vegetation, medicinal plants, domestic animals and human populations.
It is known to cause dermatological and respiratory ailments to humans, carcinogenic to catties and causes death in extreme cases. Numerous medicinal plants have been lost permanently due to Parthenium Hysterophorus and the said loss is not even ever assessed.
Worldwide, it affects no less than 58 countries in the equatorial and sub-equatorial regions and has been declared as one of the 'ten worst weeds' the mankind has ever known.
3.2 U.S. Patent No. 6,277,786 dated August 21, 2001 of Rajasekharan, etal covers a phytotoxin-based herbicide, synthesis process thereof and its effects on parthenium hysterophorus weed observed during lab-scale trials. The prior work of art deals in controlling /eliminating tender weeds grown for lab-trials but speaks very little about the said herbicide eliminating full grown weeds and more particularly on taper roots of the full grown weeds.
3.3 There is, apart from the said prior work, no other work of art in the field of herbicide eliminating the parthenium hysterophorus weed.
3.4 The field of herbicides is yet to receive a complete weedicide compound that is economical to produce in bulk quantities to address the large scale problem, is simple and easy in its end applications on field and kills clinically parthenium hysterophorus weed in a short time period after spraying.
4.0 Object of Invention
4.1 An object of this invention is to offer a process to produce economically on commercial scale a complete bio-weedicide that eliminates not only the drawbacks of prior works of art but offers also a fast cost-effective and easy-to-use compound that kills with clinical efficacy the killer parthenium hysterophorus weed irrespective of its botanical age, texture, size, location, soil condition and climate.
4.2 Another object of this invention is to offer a process to produce a
complete bio-weedicide based compounds of octadecenoic acid
ester sulphonated from hydrolyzed vegetable oils such as, olive
oils, cotton seed oil, and hydrolyzed animal fats - easily available
4.3 Another object of this invention is to offer a process to produce the
said complete bio-weedicide that yields no harmful co-products to
spare the adjoining agricultural, forestry ad medicinal crops any adverse effect associated with spraying conventional herbicides.
4.4 Another object of this invention is to offer a process to produce the said complete bio-weedicide of such efficacy and lethality that , even after its dilution with water in volumetric ratio of 1:35 for field-spray-application, it clinically and quickly kills the killer weed.
4.5 Another object of this invention is to offer a process to produce the said complete bio-weedicide without relying upon toxic, carcinogenic or polluting chemical molecules or phytotoxins derived from fungus or micro-organisms.
4.6 Another object of this invention is to offer a process to produce the said complete bio-weedicide that causes no harm to humans during production, in its storage under ambition conditions and in application as a water-diluted solution by spraying.
5.0 Summary of Invention
5.1 The invention successfully overcomes drawbacks encountered in prior works of art while offering a process to economically produce in bulk quantities the said bio-weedicide that kills in 24
hours the whole exterior of the killer weed and in 15 days from spraying even the roots of the killer weed.
6.0 Description of the invention
6.1 A cylindrical stainless steel 316 Reaction Vessel (10) is fitted with an anchor agitator (11) and a flush-bottom valve (12) at its bottom respectively for effectively mixing and completely discharging its contents. The feed to the said vessel (10) is introduced through its manhole (13). The said vessel (10) is installed at an elevation of 25 feet to facilitate its content being drained under gravity into a mixing vessel (14) through a connecting pipe (15) as shown in the accompanying drawing # 1. The said Reaction Vessel is fitted with a temperature indicator (16) to monitor and measure continuously temperature of contents of the Reaction Vessel and with a liquid feed port (17) for feeding liquid to it.
The said mixing vessel ((14) is cylindrical, is of stainless steel 316 construction and is jacketed with M.S. jacket (18) to cool its contents by circulating cooling water from bottom to top direction with a water circulating pump (19) that pumps under pressure
cooled water from sump tank of (20) of Cooling Tower (21). The said mixing vessel (14) is fitted with anchor agitator (22), flush bottom discharge valve (23) and liquid feed port (24) for stirring, draining out and adding to its contents liquid feed respectively. Temperature of contents of mixing vessel (14) is continuously measured through temperature port (25) with Temperature indicator (26) as shown in the accompanying drawings # 1. The said mixing vessel is installed at an elevation of 18 feet to drain its contents under gravity to a Stabilizer Vessel (27) through connecting pipe (28) shown in the accompanying drawing # 2. The said Stabilizer Vessel (27) is fitted with a flush bottom discharge valve (28-A), jacket (30) and agistator (33) for discharging its contents into 50 liters HDPE drums (31), for cooling its contants by circulating cooling water (19) from bottom and leaving out-at-top to cooling tower (21) and for uniformly mixing its contents respectively. Solid or liquid feed is introduced to the vessel through manhole 32. All solids present in finished product are filtered out through a filter assembly 29.
-8-Operation of Invention :
Hydrolyzed cottonseed oil, coconut oil, olive oil and animal fats (buffalo, pigs meat) - that are rich in Octadecenoic acid-after being weighed at 12-20 Kg. are fed through the manhole (13) into the Reaction Vessel (10) of volumetric capacity 100 litres. Water, measuring 60-80 Litres is added to the Reaction Vessel through Liquid Feed Port 17. Agitator (11) is started for a speed of 50 R.P.M. Sodium hydroxide and potassium hydroxide, after weighing to be 25-40 Kgs and in ratio by weight of 1.8-3.5:1 is intermittently added in pre-determined quantity at pre-determined time interval of the reaction time of 1.5 hours -3.5 hours such that exothermic heat of reaction coupled with heat of solution of sodium and potassium hydroxides maintain reaction temperature at 68°C-85°C all through the said reaction time. Temperature of the reaction mass is raised, without the aid of any external heating, from ambient temperature to 68-85°C in stages through the said periodic, pre-determined additions in series and is never allowed to exceed the said desired temperature. pH of the reaction mass is maintained at 10.5-12.
6.3 The emulsified concentrate, for spraying on parthenium hysterophorus weed, is diluted with water in volumetric ratio of 1:35 and sprayed for quick results 24 hours later after spraying.
7.0 Brief Description of Accompanying drawings.
Drawing # 1 illustrates installation of reaction vessel and mixing
vessel Drawing # 2 illustrates installation of stabilizer vessel.
1. a process for producing a complete weedicide based on octadecenoic ester sulphonated for rooting out Parthenium Hysterophorus Weed, using hydrogenated vegetable oils of coconut oil, cottonseed oil, olive oils and or hydrogenated animal fats, reacting the said hydrogenated material in presence of water with sodium and potassium hydroxides by intermittently adding at predetermined intervals the mixture of said alkali hydroxides, combining under stirring at 50 R.P.M. speed exothermic heat of reaction between octadeconoic acid richly present in the said hydrogenated
vegetable oils and / or hydrogenated animal fats and the said mixture of sodium and potassium hydroxides with exothermic heat of solution of the said mixture in water for maintaining for fixed time period reaction temperature yielding a semi-esterified product, completing under continued stirring in second phase in a separate mixing vessel esterification reaction and fixation of sodium and potassium atoms by cooling the semi-esterified mass with circulating under positive pressure cooling water in the jacketed mixing vessel, adding in catalytic quantities active fixing agents and continuing the said fixation reaction for a fixed time span to yield finished product mass, cooling the said product mass in phase 3 to ambient temperature with circulating under positive pressure cooling water through jacketed vessel and stabilizing under continued stirring by adding sodium carbonate, sodium chloride and cifric acid-while cooling-to the said product, filtering out solids from the stabilized product at room 'temperature' to yield 100 litres of emulsified concentrate of octadecenoic ester sulphonated; 2. A process according to claim 1 wherein hydrolyzed vegetable oils of coconut oil, cotton seed oil and olive oil and hydrolyzed animal
fat rich in octadecenoic acid in quantity of 12-20 Kgs are taken with 60-80 litres of water as raw material under stirring;
3. A process according to claim 2 wherein a mixture of sodium hydroxide and potassium hydroxide in weight ratio of 1.8-3.5:1 in quantity weighing 25-40 Kgs is added to the said raw materials;
4. A process according to claim 2 wherein the said mixture of alkali hydroxides is added intermittently in pre-determinal quantity at pre-determided time intervals to the said reaction vessel under continued stirring;
5. A process according to claim 4 wherein octadecenoic of the said hydrogenated material is reacted with sodium hydroxide and potassium hydroxide at pH 10.5-12 for a reaction time of 1.5 hours - 3.5 hours;
6. A process according to claim 5 wherein no external heating is applied during the said time span of 1.5 hours - 3.5 hours;
7. A process according to claim 6 wherein temperature of the said reactants is raised from ambient temperature to 68°C-85°C and is maintained at 68°C-85°C all through the said reaction time span;
8. A process according to claim 7; wherein exothermic heat of
reaction between octadecenoic acid and mixtures of alkaline hydroxides in presence of water and heat of solution of alkaline hydroxides is utilized for maintaing the temperature of the said reactants at 68°C-85°C to yield semi-esterified mass;
9. A process according to claim 8 wherein the said semi-esterified mass, under continued stirring in a separate vessel, as phase two of the said esterification reaction, is cooled from 68°C-85°C to 38°C-52°C with circulating cooling water under positive pressure through the jacket of the said mixing vessel;
10. A process according to claim 9 wherein the said cooling is achieved in a time span of 1 hour - 2.5 hours;
11. A process according to claim 10 wherein catalytic quantity of commniphora mukul weighing 45-60gms and curuwa indica weighing 45-75 gms are added to the said semi-esterified mass at the start of the said cooling period to yield fully esterified product;
12. A process according to claim 11 wherein the said fully esterified product, under continued stirring, is cooled, in phase three in a separate stabilizer vessel, from 38°C-52°C to ambient temperature
with circulating cooling water under positive pressure through jacket of the said stabilizer vessel in a time span of 1.5 hours - 4 hours;
13. A process according to claim 12 wherein sodium carbonate weighing 2kg - 3.5Kg, sodium chloride weighing 1 Kg - 3.5 Kg and citric acid weighing 0.1 Kg - 1.8 Kg are added to the fully-esterified product at the start of the said time span of 1.5 hours - 4 hours to yield 100 Litres of emulsified concentrate of octadecenoic ester sulphonated which is filtered from solids;
14. A product comprising octadecenoic ester sulphonated in emulsified concentrate form to be diluted with water in volumetric ratio of 1:35 for spraying application on Parthenium Hysterophorus Weed;
15. A process for producing octadecenoic ester sulphonated substantially as hereinbefore described with reference to accompanying drawings.
A process for economically producing in bulk quantities a complete bio-weedicide based on octadecenoic ester sulphonated from hydrogenated vegetable oils of olive oil, coconut oil and cotton seed oil that yields emulsified concentrate of the said compound for dilution with water in volumetric ratio of 1:35 for spray applications. The said complete bio-weedicide kills in 24 hours after spraying the entire exterior of parthenium hysterophorus weed irrespective of its botanical age, texture, soil, location while leaving adjoining crops unaffected. The sprayed weedicide kills the roots of the killer weed in 15 days after spraying, culminating in its complete elimination.
|Indian Patent Application Number||1145/MUM/2006|
|PG Journal Number||06/2009|
|Date of Filing||18-Jul-2006|
|Name of Patentee||PRAVEEN CHHABRA|
|Applicant Address||GURDEEP BHAVAN 20, KADBI CHOWK, NAGPUR-|
|PCT International Classification Number||A01N25/02, A01N37/06|
|PCT International Application Number||N/A|
|PCT International Filing date|