|Title of Invention||
AN APPARATUS FOR CALCULATING A PLURALITY OF OPTIONS IN A MEDICAL SELF TREATMENT
|Abstract||This invention relates to a method of assisting a user in a medical self treatment, said self treatment comprising a plurality of actions, said method comprising the steps of collecting in a one or more databases data representing values of parameters relevant for said self treatment, and the step of processing said one or more databases to provide for alternative choices between two or more actions and a corresponding value for each two or more actions. The invention also relates to a computer system having means for performing the method according to the invention, and a computer readable medium having a program recorded thereon, where the program when executed is to make the computer execute the method according to the invention.|
|Full Text||FORM 2
THE PATENTS ACT 1970
[39 OF 1970]
THE PATENTS RULES, 2003 COMPLETE SPECIFICATION
[See Section 10; rule 13]
"AN APPARATUS FOR CALCULATING A PLURALITY OF OPTIONS IN A MEDICAL SELF TREATMENT"
NOVO NORDISK A/S, a Danish company of Nova Alle 7, DK-2880 Bagsvaerd, Denmark,
The following specification particularly describes the invention and the manner in which it is to be performed:
The present invention relates to an apparatus for calculating a plurality of options in a medical self treatment.
The present invention also relates to a system/an apparatus for assisting a user in a medical self treatment, said self treatment comprising a plurality of actions.
In the following a user/patient will be a patient having diabetes.
For a number of years it has been possible to purchase various devices for the treatment of diabetes, e.g. for injecting insulin, for measuring blood sugar (such a device is referred to as BGM in the following), for withdrawing blood samples, and other accessories, the purpose of which is to enable the patient to nurse his disease discretely and with a high standard of safety.
Many diabetic patients are elderly people who can easily
get insecure with respect to the medical equipment. It is
very reassuring and therefore also very important that
the user can have feedback from the system which confirms
to the - user that everything is OK right from the
technical function of the system to the patient"s
physiological condition. This stretches out a
psychological safety net under the patient, which
contributes to improving the quality of life of patients
having a disease such as diabetes.
1. An apparatus for calculating a plurality of options for bringing a
user into and/or keeping a user substantially in compliance with a
medical regime of a medical self treatment, the apparatus comprising:
• means programmed to collect data in a user individual database in memory means, the data representing values of a group of parameters relating to the users physiological condition, wherein the:
• processing means programmed to estimate one or more future values for a specific parameter from the group of the parameters on the basis of information in the user Individual database, and where tile processing means is further programmed to automatically calculate a plurality of options on the basis of the estimated one or more future values and the data in the user individual database, so as to provide for two or more options and at least one related value for each option, each option and related value bringing a value at the specific parameter within a range of acceptable values at a given future point in time.
2. Apparatus as claimed in claim 1, wherein the means for collecting
data is adapted to collect one of more of the following:
Individual characteristics for the user specified by a care-team/professional/central system,
data from at least one portable apparatus, manually specified input,
an option selected by the user and a corresponding value, and the time and date.
3. Apparatus as claimed in claims 1-2, wherein the means for
collecting data is adapted to automatically collect data from at least one
portable apparatus and that said at least one portable apparatus is
selected from the group of:
a body fluid analyzer,
a blood glucose monitor,
a drug administration device, an insulin administration device,
a tablet dispenser,
an inhaler, and
a continuous blood glucose monitor/sensor.
4. Apparatus as claimed in claim 3, wherein the apparatus further
comprises means for:
presenting at least one apparatus dependent option of said calculated options where said apparatus dependent option involves a use of a portable apparatus, where only apparatus dependent options for present and active portable apparatuses is presented.
5. Apparatus as claimed in claims 1-4, wherein the apparatus is
further adapted to:
• transmit Information to a drug administration device, the information comprising a predetermined number of units of a medication to be administered according to a given option of said calculated options, and enable automatic setting of the, number of units of the medication to be administered in the drug administration device.
6. Apparatus as claimed in claims 1-5, wherein the said estimation of one or more future values is done on the basis of a dynamic model representing the human metabolism.
7. Apparatus as claimed in claims 1-6, wherein the processing means is adapted to calculate the plurality of options by comparing an es¬timated future value for the specific parameter with a predetermined target value and for each option calculating the related value for the given option by using the difference between the estimated value for the specific parameter and the target value and using a relationship between the given option and the specific parameter,
8. Apparatus as claimed in claims 1-7, wherein the said, apparatus further comprises means for notifying said user if at least one of said one or more future values are outside a predetermined range of acceptable values.
9. Apparatus as claimed in claims 1-8, wherein the said apparatus further comprises means for notifying at least one of a care-team, a professional and a central system if at least one of said one or more future values are outside a predetermined range of acceptable values.
10. Apparatus as claimed in claims 1-9, wherein the said self treatment is a self treatment for diabetes and said one or more future values represents a predicted blood glucose level (BGL) at different future points in time.
11. Apparatus as claimed in claims 1-10, wherein the said group of parameters comprises one or more of the following:
a blood glucose level (BGL),
a body fluid concentration,
an amount of administered medication,
an amount of administered insulin,
a type of medication,
a time stamp,
an amount of intake of food,
an amount of intake of drinks,
a measurement of physical activity,
a value representing the insulin sensitivity for the user,
a temperature of the user,
a blood pressure of the user, and
a weight of said user.
12. Apparatus as claimed in claims 1-11, wherein the said options are
selected from the group of
• administer a predetermined type and amount of medication,
• administer slow acting insulin,
• administer feet acting insulin,
• administer tablets,
• exercise for a given period of time,
• intake a given amount of food, and intake a given amount of drink.
13. Apparatus as claimed in claims 1-12 wherein the said apparatus
relates to one or more of the following medications:
• growth hormones,
• OHA (Oral Hyperglychemical Agent),and
HRT (Hormone Replacement Therapy).
14. Apparatus as claimed in claims 1-13, wherein the said apparatus
further comprises means for controlling data information between
plurality of portable apparatuses for use by a patient for medical self
treatment, the treatment including a first action and at least a second
action said portable apparatuses comprising a first apparatus for
performing the first operation, and at least a second apparatus for
performing the second action, where
• each apparatus belonging to the medical self treatment has means for
one or more of the following: storing, transmitting, receiving, processing
and displaying information,
• an attempted data communication between said apparatuses is initiated an request, said communication being controlled by a functional master module,
• designating said functional master module among at least two of said apparatuses, and
• designating a processing apparatus comprising said memory means
among at least two of said apparatuses.
15. Apparatus as claimed in claim 6, wherein the program information having the highest priority with respect to control and monitoring of mutual data communication between said apparatuses is stored/activated in said functional master module.
16. Apparatus as claimed in claims 14-15, wherein the said apparatus further comprises means for designating a new functional master module if the current designated master module becomes unavailable.
17. Apparatus as claimed in claims 14-15, wherein the said apparatus further comprises means designating a new processing apparatus if the current designated processing apparatus becomes unavailable.
Dated this 24th day of May, 2001.
OF REMFRY & SAGAR ATTORNEY FOR THE APPLICANTS
|Indian Patent Application Number||IN/PCT/2001/00589/MUM|
|PG Journal Number||35/2007|
|Date of Filing||24-May-2001|
|Name of Patentee||NOVO NORDISK A/S|
|Applicant Address||NOVA ALLE 7, DK-2880 BAGSVAERD,|
|PCT International Classification Number||A 61M 5/00|
|PCT International Application Number||PCT/DK99/00670|
|PCT International Filing date||1999-11-30|