|Title of Invention||
A WINDING MACHINE
|Abstract||ABSTRACT This invention relates to a winding machine which is particularly useful in winding transformer coils. The machine consists of a drivable spindle, traverse means'for moving the wire during winding operations, guide means which guide the wire from the conductor bobbin to the spindle, feeder means for feeding paper in between wire layers and a microprocessor based programmable logic control circuit for programming and operating the machine as desired.|
This invention relates to a winding machine which is particularly but not exclusively useful in winding high and low voltage wires for electrical circuits useful in transformer manufacturing.
Electrical part of a transformer has primary and secondary windings. Energy of an alternating current in the primary windings of a transformer is transferred to secondary windings through electro magnetic induction. It is difficult to exercise adequate dimensional control of primary and secondary transformer windings when its configuration is other than circular. Windings with rectangular cross sections do not exhibit the desired consistency in quality and dimensional control when made by the existing method of winding. Normally the coils, other than circular configuration, are pressed after winding by using separate pressing systems. This may lead to inter turn/inter layer figure of coils as mean length of turns is already wound, it may get loosened because of the pressing. This kind of winding is also found to be time consuming and mostly operator dependent, thereby reducing the productivity rate.
In order to overcome the above drawbacks and to produce uniformly wound electrical coils, in an increased rate, the winding machine according to this invention has been developed which is fully automatic and is useful in winding coils.
The machine consists of the following parts:
1. A main spindle which holds a mandrel on which winding is to
be carried out. The spindle is connected to and is drivable by a
motor. This spindle is a cantilever type which does not require
tail stock support. This spindle is drivably connected to a
variable speed servo motor. The speed of the spindle is
maintained to the desired level with a taco generator Feed back
and optical encoder feed back provided to the drive. A
microprocessor is provided with input at every 1.5 degree
rotation of the main spindle.
2. A traverse means for moving the wire during winding operations exactly by the pitch equivalent to the set wire diameter with an accuracy of +/- 10 microns. The traverse system consists of a press roller with a lead screw having a pitch accuracy of 3 microns. This screw is driven through a variable speed servo motor having microprocessor based controls with computation capabilities for different wire diameters. The motor is programmable to achieve different speeds. Guides are provided with linear bearings to move the traverse system from one end to the other.
3. Wire guide means consist of pulleys and tensioned is provided on traverse system to take the wire from the conductor bobbin to the winding coil to be wound in a closed pitch. The
wire guide system is also provided with tension rollers. The
pensioners adjust the tension of the wire feed depending on the
wire size. The wire guide means also consists of detecting means
to detect wire breakage and lack or absence of wire in the
bobbin. On detection of wire breakage or absence of wire in the
bobbin, required feed back is sent by the detecting means to the
microprocessor to stop the machine.
4. Paper feeder means for feeding paper on to the spindle as inter layers for the windings. This means consists of two oppositely disposed press rollers which hold a roll of paper in between. The rollers are movable up and down with the help of pneumatically operated cylinders. This means consists of a paper roll mounting stand which can hold at least three paper rollers. The system also consists of cutting means for cutting the desired length of paper from the paper roll. The exact length required is calculated automatically by the microprocessor.
5. A microprocessor based logic control system is provided to program and compute the different variables. The microprocessor is fed with the necessary information such as the total number of turns, coil height, conductor size, edge strip size, number of break points and the like. The programmer of the programmable logic control then computes the speed of the traverse system, position where the machine is to be stopped, number of turns,
movement of the traverse system, length of the paper to be cut for each inter layer.
A base with a height adjustable platform is provided on which the paper feeder system, part of wire guide system and the traverse system are mounted. The positioning of the paper feeder system and the traverse system is adjustable according to the desired heights required for the winding coil. A control panel and push button stations are provided to operate the machine manually, automatically and to reset the machine after completion of winding a coil.
A winding machine according to this invention comprises a drivable spindle, a traverse means provided with press roller movable on linear bearings and guides, to move the wire as desired during winding operations, the said traverse means having wire guide means for guiding the wire to the said spindle, the said guide means having means for detecting break or lack of supply of wire, an adjustable paper feeder means provided with cutting means to feed paper to the spindle and cut the same to the desired length, and a microprocessor based programmable logic control circuit provided with a control panel, the said microprocessor being programmable to control the speed and
movements of the traverse means, number of turns for winding, the
for desired length of paper and/stopping and restarting of the said
• The invention will now be described with reference to the two figures in the * accompanying drawings wherein Fig.1 is the front view and Fig.II is the side view.
The spindle is indicated by reference letter A and the mandrel is shown by letter A' and is drivable by a motor B. The macho generator feed back for regulating the speed of the spindle drive is shown by reference letter C. Optical encoder feed back means is shown by the letter D and the proximity switch providing input to the microprocessor is shown by reference letter E. Traverse means and the press roller arrangement for moving the wire during winding operation are indicated by letters F and G respectively. The DC motor driving the traverse means is shown by letter I and the linear bearings and guides for moving the traverse means are shown by the letters H and J respectively. The axis of the spindle lies vertical to the base of the platform S.
Wire guide means is shown by letter K and consists of pulleys L and tensioner M. Detecting means for detecting wire breakage or lack of wire stock is shown by reference letter N. Paper feeding means is shown by reference letter O. Rollers P disposed opposed hold the paper edges during the first few turns of the winding. The stand for paper roller is indicated by the letter q. The base with the adjustable platform on which the traverse means and the paper feeder means are mounted are shown by letters R and S respectively. The control panel which houses the programmable logic circuit is shown by the letter T and the push button station for controlling the
operation is shown by the letter U. The arrow in Fig.II indicates the supply line for the wire to be wound on the spindle.
The machine according to this invention is operated to obtain wound coils in a manner known to persons skilled in the art,
This invention is not limited to the embodiments described and illustrated herein above but may be altered and modified in many ways known to persons skilled in the art without departing from the underlying concept of this invention described herein above and claimed in the appended claims.
1. A winding machine comprising a drivable spindle, a drivable
traverse means provided with a press roller movable on linear
bearings and guides, to move the wire as desired during winding
operations, the said traverse means having wire guide means for
guiding the wire to the said spindle, the said guide means having
means for detecting break or lack of supply of wire, an
adjustable feeder means provided with cutting means to feed paper
to the spindle and cut the same to the desired length, and a
microprocessor based programmable logic control circuit provided
with a control panel, the said microprocessor being programmable
to control the speed and movements of the traverse means, number
for of turns for winding, the desired length of paper and/ stopping
and restarting of the said machine.
2. The winding machine as claimed in claim i wherein the spindle has a tachogenerator feed back and an optical encoder feed back connected to the microprocessor, to maintain the set speed of the spindle.
3. The winding machine as claimed in claims 1 and 2, wherein the spindle is drivable by a DC motor.
4. The winding machine as claimed in claim 3, wherein the DC motor is a variable speed servomotor.
5. The winding machine as claimed in any of the above claims
wherein traverse means is drivable by a motor.
6. The winding machine as claimed in claim 1, wherein the wire
guiding means has pulleys, and tensioners for guiding the wire
from the bobbin to the spindle.
7. The winding machine as claimed in claim 1, wherein the feeder means has two press rollers for holding the edges of the paper to be fed, the said rollers movable by two pneumatically operated cylinders.
8. The winding machine as claimed in any of the above claims wherein a base having a height adjustable platform houses the traverse means and the paper feeder means.
9. A winding machine substantially as herein described with particular reference to the figures in the accompanying drawings.
|Indian Patent Application Number||291/MAS/1997|
|PG Journal Number||30/2009|
|Date of Filing||13-Feb-1997|
|Name of Patentee||VIJAI ELECTRICALS LIMITED|
|Applicant Address||IDA BALANAGAR, HYDERABAD 500037, ANDHRA PRADESH|
|PCT International Classification Number||B65H54/22|
|PCT International Application Number||N/A|
|PCT International Filing date|