|Title of Invention||
"INTELLIGENT LED STREET LIGHT SYSTEM"
|Abstract||Intelligent LED Street Light is a solution for sodium vapour light in street lighting by saving energy and money, reducing greenhouse gas emissions, reducing glare to increase visibility, reducing light pollution and maintaining a safe level of lighting. AC mains supply termination (1) is converted to required DC voltage in the DC power supply section (SMPS - Switch Mode Power Supply) (2) . The DC power supply section (SMPS) (2) can also be powered from a Solar Cell/Battery Supply/Inverter (Optional) (5). DC power supply section (SMPS) (2) feeds power supply to Solid state control Electronics (3) and LED clusters (4). LED luminaire can be dimmed automatically by a photocell switch or putting off certain number of LED modules in any light automatically after busy period by individual or a central timer. LED luminaire can be switched on or off automatically with the help of solid state control electronics (3).|
|Full Text||ABBREVIATIONS & DEFINITIONS
AC CFL DC HID HPS Hrs Hz IEC LCD LED Im/W LPS nm PCB PF Ph
p-n junction SMPS SOX SSL V
Expansion Of Abbreviation
Compact Fluorescent Lamp
High Intensity Discharge
High Pressure Sodium
International Electro-technical Commission
Liquid Crystal Display
Light Emitting Diode
Lumens per Watt
Low Pressure Sodium
Printed Circuit Board
p-positive n-negative junction
Switch Mode Power Supply
Solid State Light
2. Definitions Terms
Cones are cells in the retina of the eye which only function in relatively bright light and provide colour sensitivity. Negatively charged ions Positively charged ions
Intrinsic semiconductors doped with donor impurities and denoted by n+ and commonly represented as n-type. Intrinsic semiconductors doped with acceptor impurities and denoted by p- and commonly represented as p-type. Rods are cells in the retina of the eye predominating in the peripheral vision and more light sensitive enabling to see dimmer objects.
FIELD OF INVENTION :-
The Invention describes Intelligent LED Street Light System. The system
consists of a metal/engineering plastic housing with fixture, light emitting diodes, PCB, DC power supply (SMPS - Switch Mode Power Supply) etc. These lights are smaller in size, compact and light in weight and can be made into different shapes, sizes and configuration as per need.
The system employs an intelligent electronic control system to ensure that the light always operates at its peak efficiency. The power supply to the system allows use of normally available AC voltages from 110V to 440V, 50 Hz or 60 Hz or any other power supply voltages as may be available from solar cell/ Battery/ Inverter.
A High Pressure /Low Pressure /Metal halides Sodium vapour light is a gas discharge lamp which uses sodium /inert gas in an excited state to produce light. These lights are bigger in size, bulky, heavy and difficult to manage at height at which these are installed
Exhibit 1 : SODIUM VAPOUR STREET LIGHT FUNCTIONAL REPRESENTATION
1. AC Mains Supply Termination
4. Sodium Mercury Amalgam
7. Alumina Arc Tube
The luminaire is powered by AC Mains supply Termination (1) in series with an inductive Ballast (2) in order to supply a nearly constant current to electrodes (3) & (6) of the luminaire, thus assuring stable operation. The inductive ballast (2) assists in continuing the stable operation without extinguishing the luminaire at each zero current point in the AC cycle.
An amalgam of metallic sodium and mercury (4) lies at the coolest part of the luminaire and provides the sodium and mercury vapour in which the arc (5) is drawn. The temperature of the amalgam is determined to a great extent by luminaire power. The higher the luminaire power, the higher will be the amalgam temperature. The higher the temperature of the amalgam, the higher will be the mercury and sodium vapour pressures in the luminaire. An increase in these metal pressures will cause a decrease in the electrical resistance in the Alumina Arc Tube (7) of the luminaire.
PROBLEM WITH PRIOR ART
1. Existing lights are bigger in size, bulky, heavy and difficult to manage at
height at which these are installed.
2. Sodium and Mercury remain in solid state and need more current to melt
and convert to vapours and current passes through ions to produce
light, hence requires more power.
3. Light scatters in 360° direction of the LPS /HPS light and reflectors are
needed to reflect the light in a required direction. In achieving the
reflection of light, 40% light energy is wasted and only 60% light energy
is actually utilized.
4. Light intensity is very poor and does not give better visibility.
5. Low pressure sodium vapour (LPS) light has various wattages say 150
watt is power consumption by the LPS light and 200 watts (approx.)
inclusive of ballast.
6. High pressure sodium vapour (HPS) light has various wattages say 250
watt is power consumption by the HPS light and 300 watts (approx.)
inclusive of ballast.
7. Power factor for sodium vapour light is 0.5 -0.6 (Inductive).
8. End life duration for sodium vapour light is about 7000 hrs operations,
provided Ballast life is in order. Invariably Ballast does not last that long
and life gets reduced considerably.
9. Sodium vapour light cannot vary intensity or dimness of the light.
10. Sodium vapour light consists of an outer vacuum envelope of glass
coated with an infrared reflecting layer of indium tin oxide, a
semiconductor material that allows the visible light wavelengths out and
keeps the infrared (heat) back. This heat is dissipated in the environment
contributing to global warming.
11. Sodium and mercury are arsenic metals which are very hazardous for
human beings. And once the life is over, the disposal of these metals
12. For providing automatic switching on or off automatically, the light has
to be provided with a complete additional timer and switching
13. Colour of the light is not pleasing to eyes.
14. Sodium vapour light is harmful and not good for reading.
HOW THIS INVENTION SEEKS TO SOLVE THE PROBLEMS :
My invention relates to Intelligent LED Street Light which eliminates and removes above problems.
Illustrations of Intelligent LED Street Light are as under : Exhibit 2: Intelligent LED Street Light Functional Representation
1. AC Main Supply Termination.
2. DC Power Supply (SMPS - Switch Mode Power Supply)
3. Solid State Control Electronics
4. LED Clusters
5. Solar /Battery Supply /Inverter (Optional)
AC mains supply termination (1) is converted to required DC voltage in the DC power supply section (SMPS - Switch Mode Power Supply) (2).
The DC power supply section (SMPS) (2) can also be powered from a Solar Cell /Battery Supply/Inverter (Optional) (5).
DC power supply section (SMPS) (2) feeds power supply to Solid state control Electronics (3) and LED clusters (4).
Light emitting diode (LED) emits incoherent narrow spectrum light when electrically biased in the forward direction of the p-n junction (p-positive and n-negative). This effect is a form of electroluminescence. An LED is a small extended source with extra optics added to its configuration that makes an LED to emit a more useful light emission pattern.
Current flows easily from the p-side or anode to the n-side or cathode. Charge carriers electrons and holes flow into the junction from electrodes with different voltages. When an electron meets a hole, it falls into a lower energy level, and releases energy in the form of a photon.
The light emitted from an LED is in unidirection and being almost a point source (in modular form of upto 5 watts or above), and it is possible to focus
the individual light beams of each module on the specific spot on the ground where it is required. The LED luminaire efficiency is upto 95% as against a conventional sodium vapour light which has luminaire efficiency of 45-50% (further reduced by another 25% due to maintenance losses)
45 - 60 watt LED luminaire can replace a 250 watt sodium vapour light mounted at a height of 35 feet to give a similar illumination level.
LED luminaire can be dimmed automatically by a photocell switch or a certain number of LED modules in any light can be put off automatically after busy period by individual or a central timer. LED luminaire can be switched on or off automatically with the help of solid state control electronics (3).
1 Lux of LED luminaire is equivalent to the visible effectiveness of more than 7 lux of sodium vapor light. Bluer light Emitting Diode luminaire requires less electric power to give the same visually effectiveness as from the sodium vapour light to convert the photopic lumens to mesopic lumens.
Human eye has two regions, each of which respond to light differently - (a) Cones in the centre, which are active at daytime and can see colours (photopic vision), and (b) peripheral Rods, which are active at low light levels (scotopic vision). The visual activity at night-time falls in between, and is known as the mesopic region. The daytime vision (photopic) has maximum sensitivity at yellow-green wavelengths (555 nm), and tapers down on both sides of the visible spectrum; it is barely active in the blue region. On the other hand, at low light levels (scotopic) vision, Rods are active, which have much higher light sensitivity at blue-green (507nm). Furthermore, this sensitivity at nighttime is 3 times greater than at daytime, and is also active in the peripheral vision, i.e. with this vision the eye can see moving objects; but with no colour.
And human eye focuses by varying the pupil size, which is activated by blue light sensitive rods. Sodium vapour light is deficient in blue light, the pupil opens fully and so the near objects become out of focus due to the reduced depth of field. Whereas LED luminaire has sufficient blue light that increases depth of field and near objects become in sight focus.
The light from LED luminaire is pleasing to the eyes. It is having soothing effect. It is saving energy and money, reducing greenhouse gas emissions, reducing glare to increase visibility, reducing light pollution and maintaining a safe level of lighting.
The illustrations shown in Exhibits are only representative to show the invention. There could be numerous version of this invention in shape or size and configuration depending upon the specific use and the type of LED Street Light (Pole mounted/wall mounted /horizontal surf ace/vertical surface) to be used.
Therefore, many apparently different embodiment of the present invention could be made without departing from scope and spirit thereof, it is indented that the description of the invention stated herein be interpreted as being illustrating only and not limiting in any manner whatsoever.
FEATURES TO ACHIEVE EXISTING PROBLEM SOLVING :
1. Metal /Engineering Plastic housing is provided for housing electronics
of intelligent LED Street Light.
2. Solid state control electronics is provided for various illumination
3. LED clusters are provided for illumination.
4. Transparent Cover is provided to cover LEDs.
5. Suitable interconnection of different modules of LED luminaire and
powered by DC power supply section (SMPS - Switch Mode Power
6. Fixture is provided for mounting the assembly on a
Pole/wall/horizontal surf ace/vertical surface.
7. The light source is based on latest LED technology to give an energy
efficient, very long life light.
8. These lights are smaller in size, compact and light in weight.
9. These lights can be made into different shapes, sizes and configuration
as per need.
10. Supplied with solid-state electronic power control system to maintain
the LED operation at the highest performance levels regardless of age or
11. Operates on ac-voltages normally available from 110V to 440V 50
Hz or 60 Hz or any other available voltage from Solar Cell / Battery
12. The control electronics ensures an almost perfect power factor (99% plus
power factor)- much better than sodium vapour light systems.
13. By use of long life LED technology the expected life of the LED light
source is between 50,000 hrs to 1,00,000 hrs.
14. Very long life (20 years plus), at the rate of 10 Hrs per day which means
zero maintenance cost.
15. High reliability due to long life.
16. Low power consumption; ideal for use in solar-powered applications.
17. Adequate light output, compared to Sodium vapour based luminaries.
18. High conversion efficiency (upto 95%) as compared to around 50% for
Sodium vapour based luminaires.
19. Cool beam, low heat emission.
20. Homogenous illumination pattern.
21. No infra-red or ultra-violet radiation.
22. Environment friendly operation. It contains no mercury or heavy metals
as in Sodium vapour lights.
23. Reliability of the light is further enhanced employing the concept of
multiple parallel circuits in the design electronics
24. All components are made from long life corrosion proof materials.
25. Simple, easy installation for initial or replacement uses.
26. 33 watt LED Light can replace 150 watt sodium vapour light. And there
is no requirement of using Ballast for LED light.
27. 45-60 watt LED Light can replace 250 watt sodium vapour light. And
there is no requirement of using Ballast for LED light.
1. Unit can be DC powered using Solar Cells/Battery/ Inverter.
2. Control system electronics to facilitate automatic light switching on/off.
SOME OF THE APPLICATIONS OF LED LIGHTING ARE AS UNDER:
1. Street Light
2. Road Light
3. Airport Lighting
4. Railways Lighting
5. Stadium Lighting
6. Multiplexes Lighting
7. Shopping Mall Lighting
8. Commercial Complexes Lighting
9. Industrial Complexes Lighting
10. Residential Complexes Lighting
11. Domestic Buildings Lighting
STATEMENT OF INVENTION
Accordingly the invention describes an intelligent LED Street Light as a solution for sodium vapour light as street lighting by saving energy and money, reducing greenhouse gas emissions, reducing glare to increase visibility, reducing light pollution and maintaining a safe level of lighting.
Intelligent LED Street Light for street lighting comprising :
Housing made of metal/engineering plastic to house electronics/ hardware.
Solid state control electronics for controlling different lighting functions.
LED clusters for illumination.
Transparent cover for LED luminaire.
Suitable interconnection of different modules of LED luminaire.
Fixture for mounting the assembly on a pole/wall/horizontal surf ace/vertical surface.
DC power supply section (SMPS - Switch Mode Power Supply) to provide required DC voltage to various modules.
Solar Cell/Battery supply/Inverter for optional source of power supply.
Control System Electronics to facilitate automatic light switching ON/OFF.
1. Intelligent LED Street Light, as a solution for sodium vapour light, for street lighting comprising :
Housing made of metal/ engineering plastic to house electronics/ hardware,
Solid state control electronics for controlling different lighting functions,
LED clusters for illumination,
Transparent cover for LED luminaire,
Suitable interconnection of different modules of LED luminaire,
Fixture for mounting the assembly on a pole/ wall/ horizontal surf ace/ vertical surface,
DC power supply section (SMPS - Switch Mode Power Supply) to provide required DC voltage to various modules,
Solar Cell/ Battery supply /Inverter for optional source of power supply,
Control System Electronics to facilitate automatic light switching ON/OFF,
2. Intelligent LED Street Light for street lighting as claimed in any of the preceding claims for LED street lighting.
|Indian Patent Application Number||1153/DEL/2007|
|PG Journal Number||12/2008|
|Date of Filing||30-May-2007|
|Name of Patentee||DHARAM PAL GUPTA|
|Applicant Address||B-396,NEW FRIENDS COLONY, NEW DELHI-110065,INDIA|
|PCT International Classification Number||H05B37/02|
|PCT International Application Number||N/A|
|PCT International Filing date|