|Title of Invention||
"A RAZOR BLADE UNIT"
|Abstract||A safety raser blade wut includes a hair pulling member located immediately in front of the cuttiag edge of t blade, the hair pulling member haiving slots thnrugh which the hair pass defined by a series of elements, . the edgcs of the elemems which define the slots being formed to notch the hairs as they pass ; through the slots, and trailin,g end portions of the elemenis beisg inctined to guide the hairs to follow a path for pulling the hairs from the skin just before they they cut through by the blade.|
|Full Text||We Claim:
1. A razor blade unit comprising at least one blade (6) with an
elongate edge, a skin engagement surface for engaging the skin
ahead of the blade edge during shaving, the skin engaging surface
having slots (10) for hairs to pass through, the skin engaging
surface being formed by a series of elements (9) between which the
slots (10) are formed, characterised in that the elements (9) have
slot edge profiles such that the slot edges (16) notch into the hairs
as they pass through the slots (10), and in the direction towards
the blade (6), the slot edge formations being inclined so as to guide
the notched hairs to follow a path causing the extension of the
hairs from the skin to be increased before the hairs are cut by the
2. A blade unit as claimed in claim l, wherein the inclination of the
edge formations is in the range of 30° to 70° to the skin
3. A blade unit as claimed in claim 2, wherein the inclination of the
edge formations is in the range of 40° to 60° to the skin
4. A blade unit as claimed in claims l, 2 or 3, wherein the elements
(9) have downwardly inclined parts (14) extending from the skin
engaging surface defining parts in the direction towards the blade.
5. A blade unit as claimed in claim 4, wherein the width of the slots
(10) tapers from the leading edge of the skin engagement surface to
a minimum value less than the diameter of a hair (H), and the
adjacent elements (9) are resiliently movable relative to each other
substantially parallel to the plane of the skin engaging surface.
6. A blade unit as claimed in claims 4 or 5, wherein the slot sections
defined between the inclined parts (14) are of substantially
7. A blade unit as claimed in any one of claims 4 to 6, wherein the
elements (9) are provided by respective teeth of a comb-like
8. A blade unit as claimed in any one of claims 4 to 7, wherein the
slot edge formations have edge portions (16) of the elements (9)
having reduced thickness.
9. A blade unit as claimed in claim 8, wherein the reduced thickness
edges (16) are formed by rebates on the undersides of the elements
10. A blade unit as claimed in claim 9, wherein the rebates are etched
11. A blade unit as claimed in claims 8, 9 or 10, wherein the edge
thickness is not greater than 20 microns.
12. A blade unit as claimed in any one of claims l to 11, wherein the
surface elements (9) are supported by respective springs.
13. A blade unit as claimed in claim 12, wherein the springs are
torsion springs (12) connected to the elements (9) at the forward
14. A blade unit substantially as herein described with reference to
and as illustrated in the accompanying drawings.
|Indian Patent Application Number||2089/DEL/1997|
|PG Journal Number||10/2008|
|Date of Filing||28-Jul-1997|
|Name of Patentee||THE GILLETTE COMPANY|
|Applicant Address||PRUDENTIAL TOWER BUILDING BOSTON, MASSACHUSETTS 02199, U.S.A.|
|PCT International Classification Number||B26B 021/54|
|PCT International Application Number||N/A|
|PCT International Filing date|