|Title of Invention||
ULTRA SLIM QUARTZ ANALOG WRIST WATCH MOVEMENT
|Abstract||The invention is of a Ultra slim quartz analog wrist watch movement made to achieve an overall thickness within 1. 15 mm of the movement for use in the watch industry. Normally wrist watch movement will be of 2.0 mm and above. Serviceability has been a problem where thickness of the movement is more particularly above 1.75 mm. This invention helps overcoming the same and at the same time ensuring elegant looks which is othelWise difficult to achieve in watches having thickness of less than 5 mm. This invention also results in lesser consumption of raw materials. The features of this invention are described in the drawings accompanying the specification comprising of three figures showing the plan view and the other side views (Fig. i), Bottom View (fig ii), and Sectional view (Fig iii). / In essence this invention consists of four different segments viz. [A] hand setting mechanism (Figure (ii) and (iii) (4»; [B] Stepper Motor (Figure (ii) and (iii) (2»; [C] Train Wheels (Figure (ii) and (iii) (1) ; and  Electonic Circuit Board (figure (ii) and (iii) (3) & Battery (Figure (ii) and (iii) -(5).|
DESIGN & DEVELOPMENT OF ULTRASLIM QUARTZ ANALOG WRIST WATCH MOVEMENT
The ultraslim movement outline characteristics:
Background: After the successful development / launch of Titan slim watch, (for which we got DSIR national R&D award for in-house development) a need has been felt for ultraslim watch in the market which was not available.
Summary of the Invention:
Figure (I) - for Plan view and other side views Figure (ii) - for Bottom view Figure (iii) - for Sectional view
The mechanism can be divided into the following segments.
• Hand setting mechanism (Figure ii & ill- 4)
• Stepper motor (Figure ii & iii- (D)
• Train wheels (Figure ii & iii - ®)
• Electronic circuit board (Figure ii & iii - (3)
• Battery (Figure ii & iii - (5)
The movement consists of a conventional hand setting mechanism (Figure 11 & iii - 4), which is customer friendly for setting the time over normal push button (electronic setting) system in slim movements.
A stepper motor (Figure ii & iii- 2) with coined stator specially designed / developed by conducting various trials to optomise high torque on minute hand & low current consumption to achieve longer battery life. Torque of about 36 μNm with less than 0.6 μA consumption is achieved with this special step motor (Figure ii & iii - 2). The torque has been achieved can take care of imbalance of hands in the watch.
Electronic circuit board (Figure ii & iii - (3) is directly fixed onto the coil without Coil End Circuit (CEC) to achieve the required slimness in the movement. ECB is of 0.20 mm thickness with copper clad on both the sides. A special quartz crystal with diameter 1 mm having an oscillating frequency of 32,768 Hz is used and time rate can be tuned to ± 10 seconds/month.
Train wheels (Figure ii & iii - 1) are provided with six jewels to improve the output torque, transmission efficiency and also reliability of the product. A ring jewel is provided to minute wheel pivot, which is a new of its kind in this movement.
Battery is arrested into the mainplate with a plastic fastener instead of a conventional metal battery bridle to ensure movement thickness on battery well within 1.15 mm. Normally, over the battery the thickness will go up by 0.15 to 0.30 mm if a conventional metal battery bridle is used. Hence overall thickness of the movement 1,15 mm is advantage for case construction and watch with a thickness of around 3.00 mm can be achieved without sacrificing the reliability of the product.
1. "Ultraslim quartz analog wrist watch movement" having features of 2 hands with thickness 1.15 mm,
2. According to claim 1, movement thickness on battery is also 1.15 mm.
3. Special stepper motor designed / developed to have output torque of 36 μNm and current consumption less than 0.60μA to have longer battery life.
4. According to claim 3, ECB with thickness 0.20 mm is made integral with the coil unit.
5. According to claim 3, "Rotor", heart of step motor is processed with laser welding technology.
6. According to claim 2, battery is arrested with a plastic fastener instead of conventional metal battery bridle with screw thereby ensuring firm contact of battery with mainplate.
7. According to claim 4, quartz crystal with diameter 1.00 mm having an
oscillating frequency of 32,768 Hz is used. This size is specially made
for this movement to keep overall thickness within 1.15 mm.
8. According to claim 3, to have good output torque, six jewels are
provided including for minute wheel assembly with a special ring jewel,
which is not existing in other normal movements.
9. Dial housing in the mainplate is by dial collets.
Dated this Twenty seventh day of August One thousand nine hundred and ninety seven.
|Indian Patent Application Number||2167/MAS/1997|
|PG Journal Number||35/2007|
|Date of Filing||01-Oct-1997|
|Name of Patentee||TITAN INDUSTRIES LIMITED|
|Applicant Address||#3, SIPCOT INDUSTRIAL COMPLEX, HOSUR-635 126.|
|PCT International Classification Number||G04C03/14|
|PCT International Application Number||N/A|
|PCT International Filing date|